In order to identify existing problems and understand the depression treatment, we did extensive research from various aspects. We:
- reviewed Chinese depression patients survey reports in recent 2 years
- read 20 self-reports of patients with depression on the Internet
- consulted 2 psychological experts
- interviewed a patient with depression
In our research, we uncovered some key insights into depression treatment that helped us narrow down the problem and inspired our design.
1. What accounts for patients' failure to take their medications on time?
As mentioned in the problem section, a huge problem depression treatment meets is patients don't take medicine on time and regularly, which leads to recurrence. Though our research, we found the factors behind this fact.
Depression patients are mostly professionals and students, who often go on busness or travel.
The depression medication plan often changes according to
Depression patients don't want people around them to know about their condition.
Some patients resist taking medicine, for worringing about side effects from overdose.
2. How psychotherapy works?
We wanted to know what are the main methods of psychotherapy and how they affect patients, so as to provide inspiration and theoretical basis for our design. Generally, we found psychotherapy includes the following aspects.
- Education: The individual recognizes the relationship between cognition, emotion and behavior.
- Behavioral Activation: Increase the individual’s physical activity and participation in social and other beneficial activities.
- Cognitive Connection: Develop and practice some cognitive or behavioral strategies to help you conduct behavioral hypothesis tests or cope with previous problem situations.
- Hypothesis Testing: Individuals consciously test the validity of their negative hypotheses and reject these hypotheses.
3. Among them, Behavioral Activation (BA) less need experts face-to-face guidance and more depend on the patient's own execution.
We found 3 useful insights behind Behavioral Activation (BA):